In August 1930, Grant Wood, an American painter with European training, was driven around Eldon, Iowa, by a young painter from Eldon, John Sharp. Looking for inspiration, Wood noticed the Dibble House, a small white house built in the Carpenter Gothic architectural style. Sharp’s brother suggested in 1973 that it was on this drive that Wood first sketched the house on the back of an envelope. Wood’s earliest biographer, Darrell Garwood, noted that Wood “thought it a form of borrowed pretentiousness, a structural absurdity, to put a Gothic-style window in such a flimsy frame house”. At the time, Wood classified it as one of the “cardboardy frame houses on Iowa farms” and considered it “very paintable”. After obtaining permission from the Jones family, the house’s owners, Wood made a sketch the next day in oil on paperboard from the house’s front yard. This sketch displayed a steeper roof and a longer window with a more pronounced ogive than on the actual house, features which eventually adorned the final work.